As part of the #WelcomeToBritain campaign we asked our teachers and staff at Manchester Academy of English what free activities in Manchester they would recommend, and here is their final list!
1. Wander along one of Manchester’s many canals and waterways, like those in Castlefield to the south-west of the city, which is Britain’s first Urban Heritage Park
2. Peruse the shops at the Trafford Centre, Manchester’s largest shopping centre
3. Take a look around the striking glass building that is National Football Museum, full of interactive exhibitions and football history
4. Visit Manchester Cathedral in the city centre, with its medieval furnishings
Photo: Manchester Cathedral
5. Have a picnic at the beautiful and scenic Chorlton Water Park…
6. …then go on the river walk from Chorlton to the old town of Didsbury
Photo: Chorlton Water Park © David Dixon
7. Explore the vaulted corridors in the Gothic-style John Ryland's Library at 150 Deansgate, Spinningfields, looking at titles from all over the world, including a book of fairy tales dating from 1825!
8. Stand in awe of the huge collection of over 25,000 works of art at the Manchester Art Gallery, including paintings and objets d'art
Photo: Manchester Art Gallery © David Dixon
9. Walk through the remnants of the world’s oldest surviving passenger railway station that is now the Museum of Science and Industry, and brave the replica sewer if you dare!
10. Visit the Imperial War Museum, inside Manchester’s iconic aluminium-style building, with sloping floors designed to confuse your senses
Photo: Museum of Science and Industry