General English Plus IELTS
This course is available in Manchester and York, combining 15 lessons of General English and 5 to 10 lessons of IELTS exam preparation per week.
IELTS is the International English Exam Testing System, an exam which demonstrates your proficiency in the English language and is a common application requirement for educational organisations, businesses and visa purposes across the globe.
Minimum level: Elementary A2 (York); Intermediate B1 (Manchester)
Locations: Manchester, York
Maximum class size: 14
Price: From £205 to £270 per week + IELTS exam fee (approx. £170)
Who is it for?
The IELTS Combination course is designed to help you pass the IELTS exam, frequently required for those who wish to apply to an English-speaking university and/or would like to achieve a qualification that educational institutions, employers, and government immigration agencies recognise as a part of their recruitment or admission procedures. Suitable for students aged 16+.
We will help you to:
• develop an in-depth knowledge of the format of the IELTS test and its content
• learn about all four exam areas and practise with complete and official exercises and materials
• develop effective strategies to approach all types of exam tasks
• produce clear, well-constructed and detailed text on a wide range of subjects
• express yourself fluently and spontaneously, with a focus on pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar to ensure you improve your accuracy
• understand a wide range of complex texts, conversations and interviews related to undergraduate or postgraduate courses
• gain relevant communication skills that you will be able to use at an English-speaking university
You can study General English Plus IELTS at Manchester or York.
Course options: 15 lessons of General English and 5 or 10 lessons of IELTS exam preparation per week.
Each lesson lasts 50 minutes.
What will I learn in General English?
The General English component of the course will help you to:
• increase your range of grammar and vocabulary in a wide variety of subjects
• improve all your communication skills, including speaking, listening, reading, and writing
• focus on pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar to ensure you improve your accuracy as well as your fluency
• develop speaking skills for real-life situations and put these into practice using natural expressions and functional language to: talk about yourself, hold effective discussions, make requests, exchange information, and express your opinions
• learn to read and listen for detail, and improve your general understanding of many types of text, including books, the Internet, magazines and newspapers
• learn how to study effectively and discover ways to record and remember vocabulary
• learn new sounds and words on your own, as well as how to deal with unknown language