What is CELTA?
CELTA, or Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults is a pre-service course giving you a thorough grounding in all aspects of teaching the English language to adults. One of the most widely taken qualifications of its kind, thousands of people choose CELTA each year to open up a world of exciting English language teaching opportunities.
At Experience English, all four of our schools in London, Manchester, York, and Edinburgh offer the CELTA qualification course.
Who is it for?
The CELTA course is for anyone who:
- is at least 18 years old and educated to higher education or university
- is competent in both written and spoken English (C1 minimum)
- successfully completes the interview and language test
- has little or no teaching experience
- would like to learn how to teach English to non-native speakers
- would like to increase the opportunities of living and working abroad
- would like to obtain an internationally-recognised teaching qualification
- develop classroom management skills
- teach basic literacy
- plan lessons
- understand the roles of both the teacher and the learner
- understand language analysis (grammar, lexis, and phonology)
- develop reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills
- teach methodology, ideas, and techniques
- evaluate authentic and published materials
You can take the full-time CELTA course at any of our four schools, including Hampstead School of English, Manchester Academy of English, English Language Centre York, or Edinburgh Language Centre. The course can be taken part-time or online through Manchester Academy of English only, with CELTA Taster Days available at any of the four schools.
- 4 weeks; 120 hours
- 6 hours of teaching observation
- 2-3 tutorials + 6 hours of assessed teaching practise
- 4 assessed written assignments
- preparation of a portfolio of work for assessment
What will I learn in CELTA?
You will cover five main topics as part of your CELTA course, including:
- learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- language analysis and awareness
- language skills: reading, listening, speaking, and writing
- planning and resources for different teaching contexts
- developing teaching skills and professionalism
Throughout the course you will also attend a variety of sessions and workshops that cover:
- classroom management skills
- lesson planning
- understanding the contexts within which adults learn English
- understanding students' motivations, and the roles of both the teacher and the learner
- language analysis
- teaching methodology, ideas, and techniques applicable to ESOL/EFL teaching
Prices vary from £980 to £1,350 according to the school, please click here to see the full price list.
Please be aware that the course is very intensive in nature; it is important that you are able to attend the entire programme as well as dedicate an additional 20 hours per week for homework, reading, written assignments, and lesson preparation.