CELTA - London, Manchester, York, Edinburgh
Want to learn how to teach the English language to non-native speakers? Our full-time and part-time CELTA courses in London, Manchester, York and Edinburgh will equip you with the knowledge, practical skills and confidence to teach English anywhere in the world through a trusted and internationally-recognised teaching qualification. With a wealth of experience in teaching English abroad, our dedicated teacher training teams will empower you to take the first essential steps towards an exciting career teaching English abroad.
Click on the school to find out more about studying CELTA in London, Manchester, York or Edinburgh:
- Hampstead School of English, London
- Manchester Academy of English - CELTA Taster Days available
- English Language Centre York
- Edinburgh Language Centre, Scotland
What is CELTA?
CELTA (Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) is a pre-service course giving you a thorough grounding in all aspects of teaching the English language to adults. One of the most widely taken qualifications of its kind, thousands of people each year choose CELTA to open up a world of exciting English language teaching opportunities. Part of the University of Cambridge and validated by Cambridge English Language Assessment, the Cambridge CELTA course is recognised and accepted by teaching institutions worldwide. Our CELTA courses in London, Manchester, York and Edinburgh are designed to fully prepare for teaching the English language, through a mix of theory and practical teaching work. The course is assessed and regulated at Level 5 of the Qualifications and Credit Framework for England, Wales and N. Ireland, which is equivalent to a Higher National Diploma.
CELTA is for those who:
- have little or no teaching experience
- would like to learn how to teach English to speakers of other languages
- want to increase opportunities of living and working abroad
- wish to obtain an internationally recognised qualification
- Should be 20 years or over at the start of the course. Applicants aged 18-20 will be considered at our discretion.
- Educated to a level suitable for higher education or university (A levels or equivalent)
- Competent in both written and spoken English (C2 recommended; high C1 minimum)
- Successful completion of an interview and a language awareness test
Course delivery and assessment:
CELTA courses in London, Manchester, York or Edinburgh with Experience English are interactive and hands-on, with a positive and supportive atmosphere. We look for students with a high level of motivation and commitment, who can work as open and reflective members of a team.
- 4 weeks; 120 hours
- 6 hours of teaching observation
- 2-3 tutorials - this is an opportunity to discuss your progress and offer you constructive feedback
- 6 hours of assessed teaching practice, teaching groups of EFL/ESOL students at two different levels. You will be expected to cover all four skill areas (reading, writing, speaking and listening) and demonstrate lesson-planning and self-evaluation
- 4 assessed written assignments, practical in nature
- Preparation of a portfolio of work for assessment
Please note that the course is very intensive in nature; it is important that you are able to attend the whole programme as well as dedicate an additional 20 hours per week for homework, reading, written assignments and lesson preparation.
Throughout the course you will cover a variety of topics through sessions and workshops:
- Classroom management skills
- Teaching basic literacy
- Lesson planning
- Understanding the contexts within which adults learn English
- Understanding students’ motivations, and the roles of both the teacher and the learner
- Language analysis (grammar and phonology)
- Developing reading, writing, listening and speaking skills
- Teaching methodology, ideas and techniques applicable to ESOL/EFL teaching
- Evaluating authentic and published materials